Tooth decay is one of the most prevalent problems suffered by millions globally. This can cause debilitating pain and damage to the surrounding structures if not detected early. X-rays are good diagnostic tools to identify caries, but these have been dramatically replaced by Diagnodent.
Our experienced dentist in Downtown Chicago and their team are well-equipped with Diagnodent technology to accurately diagnose dental caries even in the earliest stage.
What is Diagnodent?
Diagnodent is an advanced laser examination tool for the early detection of caries. It can effectively spot even the smallest lesions at the earliest stage without having to scrape, probe, or open up the affected tooth. Diagnodent is considered to be over 90% accurate as compared to dental examination and X-rays.
How does Diagnodent help?
Diagnodent is a safe, simple, and painless way of detecting decay. It consists of a pen-live device or probe that emits laser beams into the tooth to measure the internal fluorescence. The laser operates at a specific wavelength and uses two-way optics to quantify the amount of light reflected out of the tooth. The readings are recorded on the monitor. The higher the reading, the greater the level of tooth decay.
The readings are generally interpreted as:
- 10 to 15: No cavity detected
- 15 to 30: Preventive care recommended
- 30 and up: Treatment recommended
What are the benefits of Diagnodent?
Diagnodent is an accurate diagnostic tool for caries with the following benefits:
- Exposes caries at an early stage
- Facilitates increased precision for dentists to perform treatment
- Allows investigation of suspicious areas
- Completely safe
- Provides accurate results
- This prevents the need for future dental procedures
- No exposure to radiation involved in X-rays
- No need for invasive investigations
- No pain involved
- Less time consuming
- Does not involve scratching or opening the tooth
What does the Diagnodent process involve?
The steps involved in using a Diagnodent are as follows:
- Your dentist will isolate the suspected tooth with a rubber dam to prevent excess moisture. This can greatly avoid false positive results.
- The Diagnodent is switched on and the probe is carefully held over the tooth. The device is moved near the occlusal (chewing) surfaces, the interdental areas, the buccal/labial surface, and the palatal/lingual surface.
- The readings are recorded on the monitor, and the results are interpreted accordingly.
Diagnodent is a laser inspection device utilized for the early detection of tooth decay. It is extremely viable in spotting even the smallest lesion within your tooth that may lay hidden. Such revolutionary diagnostic tools have been gaining popularity in the prevention of further damage, thereby enhancing your oral health.