Following a car accident, it is okay to feel hassled and overwhelmed. If your injuries are serious, you may need weeks or months in recovery. Hiring an attorney can help in tiding through these tough times. Let’s start by saying that there is no law in Colorado that makes it mandatory to hire an attorney to file a car accident claim. However, this could be the most critical step towards getting a fair settlement. Here’s why you should be looking for a car accident lawyer near me, as soon as possible.
- They know the state laws. Colorado follows the modified comparative negligence rule. If you had a share in fault, your eventual compensation will be reduced by percentage of your fault. Let an experienced attorney evaluate your claim, keeping laws and regulations in mind.
- They can act in time. The statute of limitations in Colorado allows just three years to file personal injury lawsuits after a car accident. If the accident resulted in death, the family just has two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The problem is important evidence and details may disappear in no time. Personal injury lawyers know how to act in time, and they will always work on the case keeping worse scenarios in mind.
- They can handle insurance negotiations. You also need a car accident lawyer to negotiate with at-fault party’s insurer. The claims adjuster would want to settle the claim for as low as possible, and they may insist that you act quickly. Without a lawyer, you may end up agreeing with whatever is being offered.
- They can prove negligence. One of the key aspects of winning a personal injury lawsuit is to prove negligence and liability of the other party. An attorney can investigate the matter, review available evidence, and can work on building the case in your favor.
- They can take the matter to trial, if needed. While most car accident claims are settled outside of court, things may not work as expected. If your lawyer believes in the case, they wouldn’t shy away from taking on the at-fault party and insurer. As needed, they can argue your case in the court.
The good news is most car accident lawyers in Colorado agree on taking cases on a contingency basis. As such, you don’t have to pay the lawyer, until you win a settlement. Check online now to find the best-rated attorneys in your city.